Posts filed under ‘web’
Google Reader is an fantastic RSS reader. It is easy to use and has some amazing features. But have you discovered that there are over 20 keyboard short-cuts that will enhance your Google reader experience? I don’t think so! Here are 27 great keyboard short-cuts.
|Navigation||Acting on items|
|j/k:||next/previous item||s:||star item|
|space:||next item or page||<Shift> + s:||share item|
|<Shift> + space:||previous item or page||v:||view original|
|n/p:||item scan down/up (list only)||t:||tag item|
|<Shift> + n/p:||next/previous subscription||m:||mark item as read/unread|
|<Shift> + x:||expand folder||o/enter:||expand/collapse item (list only)|
|<Shift> + o:||open subscription or folder||<Shift> + a:||mark all as read|
|g then h:||go home||r:||refresh|
|g then a:||go to all items||u:||toggle full screen mode|
|g then s:||go to starred items||1:||switch to expanded view|
|g then <Shift> + s:||go to shared items||2:||switch to list view|
|g then u:||open subscription selector||/:||move cursor to search box|
|g then t:||open tag selector|
|g then <Shift> + t:||open trends page|
Question: How do I disable or block animated ads in Internet Explorer 7?
Answer: You can block animated ads in Internet Explorer 7 by doing th followiung:
1) Open Internet Explorer and click on ‘Tools‘
2) In the drop down menu, click ‘Internet Options‘
3) In the pop up window, select the ‘Advanced‘ tab
4) In the Settings scroll down menu, go to the Multimedia heading and then untick ‘Play Animations in webpages‘.
5) Click ‘Apply‘ and then ‘OK‘. Then restart Internet Explorer 7 for the change to take effect.
How good can this get? I am smiling and laughing while writing this post. The Google Pagerank checker on my Google Toolbar read 8! I can’t believe it and I have never dreamed of this happening, especially when a lot of famous blog’s PR are decreasing. If you don’t believe me, then take a look at the screenshot below. I also want to note that this blog is just 4 months old and previously.
My Pagerank may change again and go back to 5 but it is nice to capture the best moment!
In the previous post, I talked about Tech Help Videos getting a PageRank 5 in 3 months time. (This blog is only 3 months old) And what is more interesting is that I got a PR 5 in one go. Strategic Internet Marketing and a few other people emailed me to write a post about how I did this. So here is it is. But I am no John Chow so I am not an expert but here is what I did.
1) Quality content – Having high quality content is very important. If you do not have good content, then you will not have much traffic. This rule goes especially to blogs or sites that have a special purpose or a commercial website or blog. Also, others may link your post or blog about it if they really liked your post. If you have people linking your blog or your posts, then this is a very good sign.
2) No banner and text link ads – I do not sell any text link ads nor any banner ads on this site. Of course most people would like to make some money with a blog, but it will hurt your user experience a bit. However, if you arrange your ads in a very logical and clever way, it will be fine. Another reason why I do not have any ads is because I am running on the free WordPress platform. They do not allow me to have ads but I contacted WordPress and they said that they are working on an upgrade package to allow ads. However, even if I am allow to embed ads, I will not use them.
3) Controlled – Tech Help Videos is a very controlled site. I do not have any crazy looking thing sticking out in the sidebar nor does it have any disturbing things in the articles.
4) Commenting – I actually do comment a lot on other blogs. Some blogs that I comment on are:
However, I am NOT a guy who just sits in front of computer and comment all day. About 10 minutes a day will be fine. From my traffic status reports, I get traffic from the sites I comment on everyday.
[I will continue to improve and add to this article]
I checked my Google Pagerank and it read ‘5′. I was very surprised and and excited. Tech Help Videos is about three months old and to get a Pagerank of 5 is a great achievement. My next goal would be to either maintain this rank or increase it to 6.
Top bloggers get slapped in the face!
Unlike mine, many top bloggers got their Google Pagerank reduced. The top blogs include
John Chow dot com PR 6 to 4
Engadget PR 7 to 5
Quick Online Tips PR 6 to 3
It seems that the reason for this decrease is due the the blogs/sites selling text links. And this does make some sense. For a detailed article on why selling links can hurt your Pagerank, please click HERE. I don’t sell links, nor do I sell any ads. I want my readers to get the best possible user experience. That is without any annoying pop ups and without any kind of ads.
Update – There seems to be an error with Google Pagerank for some sites/blogs. Some blogs got their Pagerank decreased at first but back to normal now. The blogs that was affect by this error included:
Problogger – PR 6 to 4 PR 6
CopyBlogger – PR 6 to 3 PR 7
UPDATE – Becuase I haven’t updated this blog for a long time, the PR has dropped.
I would assume all people know what a website is. A quite a number of people know what a blog is. However, don’t you ever wonder what the difference between a website and a blog is? Especially now days, it is quite hard to distinguish a blog from a website. To keep it simple, a blog is a website that is your own private site about you and a website is a site that is not personal. (If you want to correct me, please do in the comments) What does the difference really matter? The answer is no. It does not matter. It used to be a little site about yourself and your life. However, over the past few years, it has lost its meaning. Now days, a blog can be a website if you want it to be. If fact, a lot of the best website/blog platforms such as WordPress and Typepad were for blogs when they started. In fact, ‘Tech Help Videos’ (the site you are visiting now!) is driven by WordPress. And it looks pretty good, doesn’t it? Another great example is JohnChow.com. One year ago, it used to be just a little private blog. But know it has expanded into a make money online site.
And for those people who moans ‘I want a website, now a cheap blog!’ you are restricting yourself and still living in the 1980s. So there you go, the answer is right whichever way you want to look at it. If you say that there is a difference, then you are correct because a blog is a private site. However, if you say that there is no difference, you are also correct. You can make a simple blog look like a pro looking website!
Question: How do I open a website without typing the www. and .com
Solution: You can avoid typing ‘www’ and ‘com’ by doing the following:
Type the URL of the website with out www. and .com in the address bar. Then press ‘Ctrl+Enter‘. You web browser will automatically add www. and .com for you!
NOTE: But remember, you have to use either Internet Explorer 7 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0 +